Sunday, February 28, 2010

What a big baby!

Every few weeks, I like to google "week by week pregnancy" just to get an idea of what is going on inside there. I'm currently a little more than 34 weeks. One website mentions that the average fetus at 35 weeks is about 5.5 pounds. Just out of curiosity I looked at week 40 and the average baby at 40 weeks is about 7.5 pounds.

This past Thursday I had another ultrasound to find out that my baby is already 7.5 pounds!! Yes, that's 2 pounds heavier than average...and the same weight as a newborn. Am I scared out of my mind? You, betcha. And here's partially why...

We purchased our current house about two years ago and one of the reasons was how close we would be to the hospital. We are closer to the emergency room than the main hospital parking lot is. I can even see the maternity room windows from my front porch. Then, they shut down the maternity ward. Now the closest maternity is about 45 minutes away. You've heard the stories where mothers had their babies and weren't in labor very long. What if this child is too big? Too big that the shoulders get stuck you-know-where? What if I can't get to the hospital in time to have a C-section? What if I do get to the hospital in time to have a C-section? That's major surgery! Am I rambling? Yes. Am I making much sense? No. But that's how my mind is running right now. I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. Where does worrying get me? Nowhere! Does anyone know how to shut this worrying off?

No comments: