Tuesday, December 23, 2008

How I met your Father...

I have been good friends with Jason since 7th grade. I loved to go to football games and watch him play, he was the quarterback and I enjoyed that he basically controlled the game. Once Jason was old enough, he joined the fire company. It was inevitable, most of his uncles and cousins were members and I believe his father was too until he was injured. Since Jason and I spent a lot of time together, his fire house friends became my friends too.

We use to go out every Thursday night. Usually we went to Frank's. Frank's was once a one-room school house that was converted into a restaurant-bar - I even went there for my 21st birthday, but that's a story for another time.

When I turned 22 I decided that I wanted to buy a house. I was dead set against renting because I wanted all of my money to turn into equity...not someone else's equity. So in 2001 I bought a house on 1/4 acre of land for $64,000. It was about 10 minutes from my parents' house and it needed some serious TLC. It only had a bathtub, no shower, and that tub stuck out about 6 inches past the door frame. I could live with this...at least I could take a bath. But the part I could not deal with was no washer hook-up! I needed a plumber and I needed one now.

There were two plumbers that I knew of...Dan and Dave. They were brothers that worked in the plumbing business for their father. Since I knew Dave better than Dan I expected to ask for his help. Oh, I forgot to mention...Dan and Dave are both firefighters and regularly attend the Thursday night outings. So, the next time we went out, Dave wasn't there but his brother Dan was. I asked him for the office number and he was extremely helpful.

The rest is pretty much history. I have had many plumbing needs since that washer hook-up. So, I've kept him around. Just to make sure that I am first priority I married him and started a family. Dan, I'm just kidding. Thank you for taking care of me. If it weren't for you I'd still be washing my clothing by hand and taking baths instead of shower....oh, and paying a fortune for oil from a oil-guzzling 40-year-old furnace!
You're the best!

2 comments:

Bekah said...

Just to make sure that I am first priority I married him and started a family.

HAHAHAHAHA love it! too cute!

Anonymous said...

Very funny - and oh so sweet!

Have a great Christmas!