Tuesday, December 16, 2008

New Year's Resolution

It's that time of year again when we need to think about our New Year's Resolution. When I was in Junior High and High School, my resolution every year was to stop biting my nails. I never did...until I went to college and didn't have time to bite my nails. Then in college, my resolution was to lose weight every year. Then I met Dan, got serious and lost the weight. So as of the last few years my resolutions have been things like: have less clutter around the house, put myself in other people's shoes, and other things like that.

This year, I'm going to increase my emergency fund. I would like to see it grow up to $10,ooo one day, but this year I'm going to focus on....hmmm....how about $2000. That's a decent start.

I figure there are two ways to make my fund reach $2000. One way is to spend less money. The other way is to bring in more money.

How am I going to spend less money? Here's what I've come up with so far. We are going to eat at home more often. In fact, we haven't eaten out in over 9 days. I know that 9 days doesn't seem like a lot, but for a family that eats out at least twice a week, this is huge! I also starting using the clothes dryer less - I hang most of my clothing on a rack in the bathroom near the radiator. I clip coupons like there's no tomorrow. We found local discounts....I found out that our wireless provider will give us a discount just because I'm a teacher. No bottled water for this lady...straight from the faucet...I'm not scared. And the library. Who needs a bookstore?

Now, where do I find more money to bring in? Well, I did mention earlier that I am in direct sales. Perhaps I will put a little more effort in that area. I can create my little heart out and list my creations on etsy (I will let you know when I do this one). There are so many opportunities at work for extra money. Detention monitor, after school tutoring, bus duty, curriculum, summer school, etc. I will definitely take advantage there.


I promise to keep you updated and we'll see if I can reach this goal.

What's your resolution?

1 comment:

Bekah said...

I have never made a New Years Resolution, usually because I think of things that I need to change and start trying immediately, because I know that if I even try to say...NEXT YEAR! I wont do it at all! Im a bum like that. But...good resolution!